I wanted to share with you a little lesson that I was reminded of last night as I sat there watching CINDERELLA of all movies, with my two girls before they went to bed.
Now I will admit that I have always been a HUGE fan of fairytales and not just because they are classic love stories (I will admit it.. I am a total romantic) but because they tell stories of hope, courage, strength and most of all good overcoming evil. What I wasn’t expecting as I was sitting there snuggled on the lounge was to be reminded of a VERY simple and yet VERY significant lesson…. BE THE APPRENTICE & NOT THE MASTER!
HOLD UP…. WHAT?!
There is a scene towards the end of the movie where the Prince finds Cinderella and she confesses to the Prince that she is a simple farm girl and asks the Prince one simple question;
“….. will you take me as I am? An honest country girl who loves you?” to which the Prince replied,
“Of course I will, but only if you will take me as I am? An apprentice still learning his trade?”
Which got me thinking… Here is a Prince, a King in fact by this stage of the movie, a man who rules a kingdom, and yet he still sees himself as an apprentice learning his trade.
You see, an apprentice is always learning, always seeking guidance from the best in their fields, they are constantly looking for new ways to improve things, modify things and do things better than they have been done before. This is not to say that they are not masterful but it is to say that they have more to learn – just as we ALL do!
Nelson Mandela once said;
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
It’s simple really…. YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU DON’T KNOW!
I remember the first time that I invested in a mentor…. I was TERRIFIED to say the least. I had NO money but I KNEW that I HAD to work with them and so I worked my butt off to find the investment, and boy was it WORTH IT!
I knew that if I wanted to share my message with the world and create a business, and a life that I LOVED then I needed someone who was going to guide me on my journey. I needed someone to teach me the things that I didn’t know… the things that I NEEDED to know. And let me tell you – once I made that investment in myself, the moment that I BACKED myself, my whole business changed in ways that I never would have imagined.
If you ask any successful business person what the secret to their success is they would say “investing in a mentor”.
In fact 75% of entrepreneurs or business owners contribute their success to a mentor!
- FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE – What is the number 1 objective that you are hoping to achieve by working with a mentor? And what do these objectives mean to you and why?
- ADMIT THAT YOU DON’T KNOW EVERYTHING – What are your strengths and weaknesses? You can’t be amazing at everything and this is OK! The key here is to be honest with yourself and to find a mentor that can bring out the best in you and then improve on those skills further as well as helping you to develop the areas of your business that need the attention the most.
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY FOR YOU TO COLLABORATE – We are spoilt for choice these days. We can learn online, we can learn offline, we can learn 1:1 or even within a mastermind or masterclass. You just need to figure out which one or one’s work best for you and your circumstances. It’s important to remember to be honest with yourself, your time and your capabilities. For instance I love to put the girls to bed, hop into my pj’s and then jump onto the computer to do some online learning BUT I also find it just as stimulating and motivating to learn first hand, surrounded by a group of like minded entrepreneurs just like me. So for me it was important to find a mentor that offered both online and offline learning to ensure that I got the most out of our time together and I was able to learn in ways that suited me and my needs.
- WHAT IS YOUR ROI (RETURN ON INVESTMENT) – With any investment, and a mentor is an investment within yourself, you need to know what your return on your investment is going to be? What is your mentor offering you? What experience do they have? How can they contribute to your success? These are all very important questions that you need to be asking yourself. When I first employed the services of my first mentor I knew exactly how they were going to help me drive my business forward, how this was going to be achieved, the value that this held for me and what I needed to invest for this to happen. Mentors aren’t cheap, but they are an essential part of your business so you should take the time to find the right mentor for you and invest wisely.
- ARE YOU READY TO LISTEN AND DO THE WORK – For any partnership to be successful you must be prepared to listen and do the work! I am often the voice in my clients heads that they don’t want to hear but they know that they have to. A great mentor will raise points that you do not really want to hear, but know you have to stomach. They will push you outside of your comfort zone and encourage you to look at things from a different perspective and to think outside of the box. BUT all of this isn’t worth a grain of salt if you are not prepared to do the work and to implement the strategies that we teach you! My favourite clients (and the one’s that get the best results) are the ones that get off a call and DO THE WORK straight away. These are the clients that are doubling or tripling their business regularly… Why? BECAUSE THEY DO THE WORK! They feel great. I feel great and their business is booming! Everyone is a winner!
Whether you are just starting out in your trade or you have doing it for a number of years, there is still always room for improvement and growth. The simple fact is – if you are not staying on top of your game, if you are not learning everyday than you will become stagnant and will never achieve all of the things that you SHOULD be achieving.
I look back now at where I was, where I am now and where I am going, and I am so grateful to have had someone there, walking the path beside me, showing me the ropes and pushing me to always go that little bit harder and dig that little bit deeper.
The question is….. Are you just like the Prince, who was in fact a King, who still saw himself as an apprentice still learning his trade?
Are you ready to DO THE WORK? Are you ready to STEP OUTSIDE OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE and BACK YOURSELF 100%?
Are you ready to take that leap from WHERE YOU ARE TO WHERE YOU SHOULD BE?
Are you ready to SHINE?!